Why Liposuction is Still the Top Choice for Fat Reduction
Excess fat remains one of the primary concerns of men and women in the United States, so it’s not surprising that liposuction consistently ranks as one as the most popular and top-performed cosmetic surgery procedures year after year.
Battling bulges: do novel options for reducing fat work?
There have been a large number of non-surgical fat reduction options flooding the market over the last few years to meet this demand. These technologies surged in popularity with their promises of no pain and very little, if any, downtime. But do these options sound too good to be true because they are?
Before you jump on the non-surgical fat reduction bandwagon, it’s important to take some time to weigh the pros and cons of these treatments—and that is exactly what Dr. Alexander Sobel has done. He has researched and vetted each of the new technologies to ensure his patients are getting the safest treatment options that yield the best results.
Non-surgical fat reduction vs. liposuction
One of the most popular options non-surgical options, CoolSculpting® works by cooling fat cells to the point of breakdown, without surgery or any sort of skin puncture. CoolSculpting, and treatments like it, are an attractive option for patients who want to avoid a lengthy recovery period. However, it can take up to 3-6 months to see results—and the results are anything but dramatic.
Most patients will need multiple treatments to achieve any noticeable fat reduction, which can quickly add up to costing as much (or more!) as a liposuction procedure. Additionally, only certain areas of the body can be treated and, typically, only small areas of fat can be targeted at once. Ideal candidates for these procedures have little excess fat to treat.
Additionally, these treatments are relatively young; the long-term effects have yet to be seen outside of controlled research environments.
When you consider the length of time it takes to see final results, the number of treatments needed, and an average of a mere 20 – 25% fat reduction in the treated area, it just doesn’t seem worth it for most patients.
Why Dr. Sobel still chooses liposuction
While many physicians are quick to offer new treatments, Dr. Sobel very carefully vets new technology—and he only provides options that he personally feels offers safe, successful, and long-lasting treatment. That’s why Dr. Sobel has chosen to only offer liposuction as the best option for reducing fat and sculpting more attractive body contours. Here are few reasons why:
- It’s completely customizable so you can get the shape changes you want. Liposuction can be used virtually anywhere on the body and, because it can be used with great precision, the procedure can be tailored to your individual goals.
- Your surgeon has greater control over your results. Because your surgeon is manually removing fat to improve your curves, he is able to visualize progress and adjust technique precisely as needed to provide you with optimal results.
- There is very little scarring and results are seen quickly. Most patients can see a difference right away, with final results taking shape over the course of one to two months as swelling subsides.
- More dramatic results can be achieved. While liposuction is not a weight loss tool, a greater amount of fat can be removed surgically; non-surgical options only reduce a small amount of fat in the treated area.
- Recovery is very tolerable. Liposuction is a surgical procedure, so some discomfort is to be expected. However, initial pain is typically easily managed with pain medication and most patients are able return to work within 5 days.
- It is tried and true. Liposuction has been helping people feel better about their body proportions for many years and has consistently remained the most popular cosmetic surgery in America.
You decide: speak with a professional
The best way to determine which option is the right fit for you is to speak with a board certified cosmetic surgeon who is experienced in fat reduction techniques. Dr. Sobel completes between 8-14 liposuction procedures each week using some of the latest and most effective liposuction technologies and techniques available. We feel that liposuction is the optimal procedure to see great results— and we would love to talk with you about your options. If you’re curious to learn more about Liposuction in the Seattle area, contact us today to schedule a free consultation with Dr. Sobel.